The first time I made this, was years ago, thinking the cauliflower would be a good filler for the ricotta cheese. I was trying to save some calories and it was pretty good! But it looked like it needed something and I threw in the poppy seeds and it really made this dish fun. This is great for a hearty vegetarian main course. Serve with crusty bread and fresh butter and a garden salad, and I think everyone will be happy.
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed so you only use the florets, boiled until soft, drained well and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 5 roasted garlic cloves (minced), from an olive bar, (only if you have on hand, I was craving olives the other day and threw these guys in the mix and they were left over, ate the good stuff first, lol)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegeta seasoning
- 1 big bunch young and tender asparagus drizzled with olive oil and salt, roasted at 450 for 20 minutes
- some unsalted butter, for sauteing the ravioli
- 1 jar good Vodka sauce
- some mint leaves, (optional)
Combine the cauliflower, ricotta cheese, garlic cloves, Vegeta seasoning (if none on hand, that’s okay just use a good all-purpose seasoning that you like) and the poppy seeds. Stir well incorporating everything. Start making your raviolis! Take a won ton wrapper, add a tablespoon of filling in the center, dip your finger in water and draw a line around the edges and top with another won ton wrapper and seal closed.
Set up your ravioli station with a few large plates, one for the just made ravioli, one for the cooked ravioli. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Throw in about 2 at a time into the boiling water. They cook very quickly, they are done when they rise to the top. Scoop them out with a drainer spoon. Make sure they don’t touch each other, because they do stick. On medium heat, melt your butter and saute your raviolis, a few at a time. Top with asparagus, vodka sauce and some chopped mint leaves. I loved it with the mint, a fun little surprise! This serves 6 with about 4 raviolis each. Enjoy & Happy Weekend!