Breakfast salad? I know what you are thinking but on those really hot mornings where it was about ninety degrees at ten in the morning, it was just what made sense. Craving cool lettuce with salty and smoky bacon, I added fennel for an extra special touch along with an over easy egg and this is one breakfast salad that I’m going to make again, real soon. Maybe even for dinner next time. Enjoy!
- a few red leaf lettuce leaves, about 2 cups chopped
- 1 head of fennel, thinly sliced about 2 cups
- a tablespoon finely chopped fennel fronds with some reserved as a garnish
- 2 slices bacon, thinly sliced, and cooked until desired doneness1 egg cooked over easy
- 1 tablespoon julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 egg, cooked how you like
Whisk the sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice together, season with sea salt and ground black pepper. Adjust the seasonings accordingly and set aside. Combine the lettuce, fennel, (using a mandoline speeds up the slicing process tremendously. I don’t know what I did without it.) the fennel fronds, bacon and dressing right before serving. Top with the egg and garnish with the fennel fronds. Serves 1.