Don’t limit your potato salads to summer barbecues, add in seasonal peas and beets and it puts a nice spin on the humble tuber salad. Yukon Gold potatoes are my favorite potato, golden in color and just deliciously creamy. Last night, I had one right out of the pot, sliced and steamy hot with a little butter and salt. It was so satisfying that I didn’t even need anything else. Sometimes, I just love simple dinners. But today is another day and it’s a salad day! Enjoy your creamy beet, potato and petite pea salad with anything from sauteed portabella mushrooms to grilled fish on the side. Enjoy!
- a little more than half a pound beets, (about 1 large), cooked until fork tender
- a little more than half a pound of Yukon Gold potatoes, (about 1 large), cooked until fork tender
- 1 cup frozen or fresh petite peas, cooked until tender
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- small handful fresh dill, finely chopped and a little extra reserved for garnish
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
Cool all of your ingredients. (I cooked them the night before and let them cool so they are easier to handle.) Cube your beets and potatoes and add in the egg, mayonnaise, heavy cream, dill and seasonings. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Makes 3-4 side salads.
I LOVE purple potatoes! They are so strikingly beautiful! I’m amazed by nature every time I see them! If you love potatoes, beets, goat cheese and sweet glazed pecans, you’ll really enjoy this salad. I made a small simple green salad to go with it, and it is a nice contrast in color and in flavor. Roasted chicken would be great with this also. Enjoy the colors and flavors!
- 2 beets, cooked and cooled 1 medium and 1 small
- 2 fingerling potatoes, cooked and cooled, 1 of them purple
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon glazed pecans, crushed
- salt & ground pepper
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a squeeze of lemon
Chop the medium sized beet and blend with sour cream and heavy cream. (I used a hand blender.) Season with salt and pepper. Spread on your plate. Roughly chop the small beet and the potatoes and arrange them over the beet dressing. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and the crushed glazed pecans. (I used to make my own using pancake syrup but the ready-made glazed nuts are great and convenient.) Combine the chopped greens, (you don’t have to use Boston lettuce, any mild lettuce will do) the dill, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. This makes one serving, so you can double, or triple it as you need.