The end of summer always makes me sad and I try to let it linger as long as I can, walking past the pile of pumpkins as quickly as I can. And I don’t dare give the mums a second glance. I’m always in denial this time of year. The scent of cinnamon pine cones are inviting but I press onto the pile of end-of-summer tomatoes; slightly green and cracked. It brings me to a happy place, letting summer smile a little longer. The best part of this salad is its’ ease; no cooking required. You can serve this with grilled chicken or fish for a main meal or with a green salad on the side for a light lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
- A couple of handfuls of tomatoes, roughly chopped to the size of the chickpeas
- 1 1lb & 13oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4 kirby cucumbers peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1/3 cup Castelvetrano olives, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon preserved Meyer lemon
- fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt if needed
Combine all of the ingredients and serve at room temperature. The amount of tomatoes in this recipe is up to you but with juicy, ripe tomatoes, the more the better. Serves about 4-6.